Indian Trails reserves the right to refuse to transport passengers under the influence of intoxicating liquor or drugs or whose conduct is likely to make them objectionable to other passengers or prospective passengers. Such persons may be removed from the bus or terminal by the driver or terminal personnel. In the event of such removal, the liability of Indian Trails shall not exceed the amount of the remaining fare paid by the passenger.
Cash Fares and Deposits
All Indian Trails schedules are reservation-based. Customers are encouraged to purchase tickets online or at one of our agencies prior to travel. Customers not holding tickets and traveling beyond an open station may board the bus from a closed location or highway stop with a $20 cash deposit. The cash deposit will be valid for travel to the next open station and will be applied to the purchase of a ticket or will be returned after the purchase of a ticket paid by debit or credit card. Customers traveling locally between two points where no open station is located may purchase a walk-up cash fare from the driver. Cash fares for walk-up tickets may vary from agency or internet purchases. Walk-up cash fares purchased from the driver are not eligible for promotions or discounts, including senior, student, military, or children's fares. Loyalty points will not be applied to or accumulated from cash fares.
Customers boarding without tickets are not guaranteed seating until a ticket is purchased. If the bus becomes full en route to the next open station, customers traveling with a cash deposit will be deboarded and must wait until the next available schedule. Customers ticketed for that specific schedule will be given priority over unticketed customers. We encourage customers to purchase tickets online or at the nearest agency before traveling.
Ticket Limitations and Restrictions
All Indian Trails tickets are date and schedule-specific. All travel must be completed within one year from the original purchase date.
Fares and Routes
Mileage will be calculated based on the selected origin, destination, and routing on the applicable selling platform at the time of purchase. Fares vary by selling platform and are not guaranteed until purchase. Fares are subject to change based on capacity and other proprietary factors. Fares are based on one-way outbound and inbound travel separately. Fares quoted may be subject to additional charges, including taxes.
Tickets that have not yet passed the travel date and departure time may be exchanged for a $20 fee per passenger. An exchange fee will apply to each exchange. Additional fares charged in exchange will be based on the original fare paid plus any additional amount due based on the fare of the new trip. The exchange fee is in addition to the fare due. Refunds or credits will not be issued for excess fare paid between the original purchase and exchanged purchase.
Cancelations and Refunds
A twenty (20%) percent cancelation penalty will apply to all refundable fares. Refund will be calculated based on unused ticket value less a twenty (20%) percent cancelation penalty. Partially used tickets are non-refundable – refunds will be based on the entire unused outbound or inbound portion only.
Not all discounts or promotions are available on all schedules or selling platforms. No more than one (1) discount offer will be permitted with each ticket. Discounts will not apply to promotional fares.
- Senior Citizen Fares: Senior Citizens will be charged ten (10%) percent less than the full adult fare applicable at the time of purchase. Senior Citizens must be sixty-two (62) years of age or older and present valid I.D. to the selling agent or driver. No further discounts will apply.
- College Student Fares: College students will be charged ten (10%) percent less than the full adult fare applicable at the time of purchase. College students must present valid college I.D. to the selling agent or driver for inspection. No further discounts will apply.
- Military Fares: Active and retired members of the U.S. Armed Forces, foreign military personnel in active service, members of the National Guard, reservists, and bona fide identifiable spouses and dependents of the above will be charged ten (10%) percent less than the full adult fare applicable at the time of purchase. Valid military picture I.D. must be presented to the selling agent or driver for inspection.
Children who have reached or passed their second (2nd) birthday but have not reached their seventeenth (17th) birthday will be charged twenty (20%) percent less than a full adult fare when traveling with a passenger paying full adult fare. The child must travel on the same trip as the adult passenger to qualify for the discount. Up to four (4) children ages two (2) thru sixteen (16) will be allowed discounted travel with each passenger paying the full adult fare. Children's fare tickets must be purchased at the same time as the adult fare ticket to receive the children's discount. Children's tickets purchased later will be charged the adult fare.
One child who has not reached their second birthday, per adult passenger, will be carried free when not occupying a seat to the exclusion of another passenger.
Children who have reached or passed their seventeenth (17th) birthday will be charged the fare applicable to adult passengers. All passengers who have not reached their seventeenth (17th) birthday must be accompanied by a passenger seventeen (17) years of age or older or must comply with the following guidelines regarding the transportation of Unaccompanied Children.
Unaccompanied Children Under the Age of 17
Any passenger under the age of twelve (12) must be accompanied by a passenger at least seventeen (17) years of age or older at all times. Passengers between the ages of twelve (12) and sixteen (16) years of age, inclusive, may travel unaccompanied for a $5.00 fee, payable at the point of origin. Unaccompanied children will be charged the fare applicable to adult passengers. Each of the following conditions must be met in their entirety:
- Unaccompanied children's tickets will not be sold online.
- Ticket must be purchased at the time of departure from an open, full-service agency.
- Both the origin and destination stations must be full-service agencies.
- The child's trip will begin and end on the same schedule (no transfers).
- The child's trip will be no longer than eight (8) hours.
- The child's trip must be between 7:00 a.m. and 8:00 p.m.
- The destination station must be open when the child is scheduled to arrive.
- Parent, Guardian, or Legal Custodian of the child must complete and sign the Unaccompanied Child Form authorizing the child to make the trip and return the form with I.D. to the agent on duty. This form specifically names the person authorizing the trip, the person meeting the child at the destination station, and the telephone number to contact each person. It also provides an emergency contact name and telephone number in the event it is needed.
- In order for the child to be released at the destination, the person named on the Unaccompanied Child Form must be the person meeting the child and must have identification, such as a driver's license or state-issued identification card. I.D. must be provided to the agent at the destination station. Without such identification, the child will be released into the custody of Child Protective Services or to local Law Enforcement officials in the destination city.
If any of the above conditions are not met, the child must be accompanied by a passenger at least 17 years of age or older. Indian Trails reserves the right to refuse to transport children from their origin when supervision of the child is inadequate in the judgment of supervisory personnel.
- Carry-On Baggage: One (1) small bag of up to 25 pounds can be taken on board for each paid adult or child. Carry-on bags must fit in the overhead compartment or under the seat. This carry-on is in addition to one purse or laptop. Indian Trails is not liable for any baggage that may be lost, stolen, or damaged. Passengers are advised to keep all personal belongings, especially valuables such as cell phones, tablets, laptops, purses/wallets, and medications in immediate possession at all times.
- Stowed Baggage:
Passengers are responsible for transferring stowed bags between buses. Indian Trails accepts no liability for stowed baggage.
Acceptable containers for baggage transport include suitcases, duffle bags, trunks, backpacks, tool boxes, sealed and sturdy cardboard boxes, and securely sealed totes. Plastic or paper bags are not acceptable containers for baggage service. Acceptable containers may not have sharp edges or protruding objects. Containers fastened together will not be accepted and must be separated.
- Passengers are allowed one (1) free bag under the bus. In addition to one (1) free bag, three (3) additional bags are allowed under the bus for $15.00 per bag.
- Baggage placed under the bus is limited to 50 pounds per bag.
- Do not include medications or jewelry in stowed baggage; these items must be carried on.
- Baggage stowed under the bus must be claimed coach side at all transfer points and carried to the connecting bus.
- All baggage must be properly identified. Luggage tags should clearly show the name, contact information, and final destination. Baggage must be claimed coach side promptly upon arrival.
Baggage assistance is available upon request. Special handling tags are available for customers that need assistance with luggage, such as seniors, customers with disabilities, or adults traveling with small children.
Bicycles transported in baggage service must be contained in wood, leather, canvas, bicycle box, or another substantial carrying case. No bicycles will be transported unless enclosed in any such container. Bicycles transported will be considered one piece of stowed baggage.
Strollers and Car Seats
An infant stroller or child seat on board an Indian Trails bus will not be counted as carry-on baggage, provided the child is not traveling for free to the exclusion of a paying passenger. Passengers are responsible for ensuring that the child seat has been approved for use in a motor vehicle and is used in accordance with the manufacturer's instructions. Passengers are responsible for providing the necessary strapping or webbing for the car seat and securing it to the bus seat. Strollers and child seats are not considered extra baggage and are transported as stowed baggage free of charge.
Wheelchairs and Mobility Assistive Devices
Assistive devices such as canes and walkers can travel inside the bus if they can be safely transported in the overhead compartment, under the seat, or within the passenger's personal space. Assistive devices that cannot be safely transported inside the bus will be stowed as under-the-bus baggage. Assistive devices are not considered extra baggage and are transported under the bus free of charge. The maximum dimensions for a mobility aid stowed in under-the-bus baggage are 30" x 30" x 48". The maximum weight is 200 pounds. Mobility aids that exceed either or both of these dimensions will not be accepted.
Portable oxygen tanks and respirators are permissible on the bus and will not be counted as carry-on baggage. A maximum of four (4) canisters may be transported – two (2) aboard the bus and two (2) in the baggage compartment. The maximum dimension for each container may not exceed 4.5 inches in diameter and 26 inches in length. Oxygen canisters stowed in the baggage compartment must be in protective cases with safety caps on the valves. Passengers are responsible for adequate supply and arrange for refills en route as necessary. On-board charging ports for oxygen tanks/respirators are not guaranteed, and Indian Trails assumes no liability for customers without access to charging ports.
Prohibited Articles in Baggage
This list is not all-inclusive. Contact Indian Trails with any questions regarding questionable items.
Aerosol (any except for personal care or toiletries in limited quantities)
Axes and Hatchets
Bows and Arrows*
Chlorine for Pools and Spas
Compressed Air Guns
Compressed Gas Cylinders
Explosive Detonating Devices
Flares (in any form)
Fluorescent Signs (Fabricated)
Fuel Tanks (Used)
Fuels (including cooking fuels and any flammable liquid fuel)
Gases in Cylinders
Guns, replicas, starter pistols, assembled or disassembled
Martial Arts Weapons
Money (Coins and exchange by Treasury Bills)
Negotiable instruments or Cash
Parts of Guns and Firearms
Realistic Replicas of Explosives
Realistic Replicas of Firearms
Realistic Replicas of Incendiaries
Spillable Batteries (except those in wheelchairs)
Stun Guns / Shocking Devices / Tasers
Television and computers
Turpentine and Paint Thinner
*Exception: Bows and arrows will be allowed as one piece of checked baggage, but must be contained in wood, leather, canvas, corrugated carton with shipping material, or other substantial carrying case.